I don't know why these cookies are called "cowboy cookies," I like to think it's because they are WILD with flavor. A mix of coconut, pecans, oats and chocolate chips is enough to keep me from singing the blues.
(adapted from Martha Stewart)
3/4 cup pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups rolling oats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in oven, tossing occasionally, 10 to 13 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
4. Gradually add flour mixture to the electric mixer, beating until just incorporated. Beat in oats, chocolate, pecans and coconut until just combined.
5. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, and drop dough onto sheet, about 3 inches apart. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, 16 to 18 minutes.