Sunday, April 29, 2012

Black Bean and Mushrooms Tacos with Purple Cabbage, Carrot and Yam Salad

This is one of my favorite meals in the whole universe! It's very very easy to make! And it's vegan! Ever since I read the book "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer, I have become a full vegetarian (no more seafood) and I am attempting to substitute more and more vegan meals.

For the tacos, I use a very basic recipe and top them with a mild store-bought salsa (el-paso) and my own homemade fresh salsa.
All you need is:
1 can of black beans
white mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
package of corn tortillas
Heat the black beans in a pot atop the stove until they start to boil and thicken. I like to use a potato masher and mash the beans so that it creates a paste-like texture. Add salt and pepper to season. 
Saute the mushrooms in a pan with butter over medium heat until they are browned and delicious.
Heat the tortillas one at a time in a pan until warm.

For the salsa, you need: 
1 avocado
1 tomato
1/4 white onion
garlic
cilantro
lime juice
salt and pepper
Chop the avocado, tomato, onion, garlic and cilantro, and mix together. Add a teaspoon or two of freshly squeezed lime juice and mix. Season with salt and pepper. 

I like to serve the tacos with a cabbage, yam and carrot salad, which I call my "rainbow salad." It's very crunchy and delicious!

For the salad, you need: 
red cabbage, chopped into thin slices
1 yam, boiled and chopped
2-3 carrots, sliced into thin slivers
pumpkin seeds
craisins
balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
Mix the cabbage, yam and carrots together. Add the pumpkin seeds and craisins. Top with the vinaigrette, and mix!

2 comments:

Dezio1 said...

can't wait to try this recipe. I don't have any yams so I will skip this ingredient and I don't have any pumpkin seeds so I will substitute them with peanuts. yum yum. :-)

Dezio1 said...

This was one of the best recipes, this is going to be the second time making this. My whole family loves it, even my picky eating son! Thank you so much! :)